What causes eating disorders?

Multiple stressors. Some likely causes are; sexual abuse, dysfunctional families full of ridicule regarding weight, size and eating habits, social pressures at school, home or organized groups one attends. Also medical problems affecting appearance, motor functions, speech or hearing. Our culture of thinness in the U.S. Is harmful. Clearly genetics has a role as well in "setting the table" for eating disorders.
No one cause. Causes of eating disorders are complex. Conflicts about body image, self-esteem, anxiety, depression, perceptual errors (over estimating how overweight one is), family values & biology all contribute. Anorexia (an) occurs more often among younger women, while binge eating is more common among males & older persons. Mortality rates are 6 times higher among an patients than in the general pop.