I have been on ptu (propylthiouracil) for 5 years now to treat hyperthyroidism. Is it time for other therapy?

Maybe. If your thyroid levels are normal on a fairly low dose of ptu (propylthiouracil), (propylthiouracil) it may be possible for your thyroid to work normally without the ptu (propylthiouracil). Stopping the ptu (propylthiouracil) would need to be done under the close supervision of your doctor. If you still need high doses of ptu (propylthiouracil) or the thyroid levels are still high, it probably is time to at least consider alternatives including surgery or radioactive iodine.
Other options. Ptu (propylthiouracil) is not without its side effects which would include bone marrow and liver toxicities. Grave's disease can only be cured by removing the thyroid gland either surgically or with radioiodine. Radioidine is a relatively safe and permanent treatment for hyperthyroidism due to grave's disease. Surgery has other potential complications. Please discuss options with your endocrinologist.