Would a cortisone shot help bone to bone pain in knee?

Maybe, but... Cortisone in the capsule and joint can help reduce any inflammation present temporarily. However, unless you have had very significant trauma in the past or an unusual congenital variation of your knee, then bone to bone pain in a patient your age would be unlikely. You need to have a complete work-up to find the cause of your knee pain. Then you can plan a treatment program with your Doctor.
Knee pain. most likely yes since cortisone will reduce inflammation for most patients. But, knowing what the underlying cause of the knee pain is crucial. A solid history taken by the physician, a complete physical exam, pertinent lab tests and most likely an MRI of the knee would be crucial for you to understand your STATUS. From there your MD and you can determine what comprehensive therapy you need.
Temporarily- perhaps. Bone on bone pain is the definition of advanced arthritis. Cortisone (steroid) injections into an arthritic knee can provide temporal relief from the secondary capsular pain, inflammation and swelling that occur as a result of the underlying arthritis. The actual arthritis will not improve, but potentially become more tolerable.