My father has a severe dental problem and the dentist hassuggested that he should see a peridontist and not undergo an oral and maxillofacial surgery. Please recommend what to do.

Depends. The reason he referred to periodontist is most likely your father has gum disease ( gingivitis ) do not need others.
It depends. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons care for patients with problem damaged teeth, facial pain, and misaligned jaws. They treat accident victims suffering facial injuries, place dental implants, care for patients with oral cancer, tumors and cysts of the jaws, and perform facial cosmetic surgery. A periodontist specializes in treatment of periodontal and gingival disease.
4 some reasons..... If your dad's dentist has clearly expressed to look for a periodontist and not an oral surgeon for ur dad's treatment, then I am to believe the reason is that your dad's 'severe dental problem" is actually "severe periodontal disease" or gum disease, which is infection of the exterior surface of the tooth roots, surrounding bone, and showing through the overlaying gum tissues.
Gum issues. Sounds like your dentist feels your father has gum issues... That would be a reason to refer you to a periodontist instead of an oral surgeon.

Related Questions

My father has a severe dental problem and the doctor has suggested for an oral and maxillofacial surgery.?

Provide more info? Can you provide more information? Always get a 2nd opinion. Sometimes from another oral surgeon - sometimes from a periodontist. Read more...
Depends. Whether or not your father needs to see an oral and maxillofacial surgeon or not depends on what the dental problem is. Read more...