Is meningocele and spina bifida the same thing?

Related terms. Spina bifida is a fancy way to say that a spine segment or segments did not close along their backside. Meningocoel is a term for the spinal cord & elements that would balloon out the back if the spine did not close and contain them. People often use the term to describe a similar process. The most common location is at the base of the spine, but both could happen in the neck also.
Yes. Meningomyelocele and spina bifida are an interrelated problem, in that all people with the former have the latter.