What are the differences between different mental health professions and who is best suited to help cutters?

Counselors. A psychiatrist is a doctor who has completed a medical degree and then completes a residency to become a psychiatrist. A psychologist has a graduate degree, such as master's or phd and tends to specialize in counseling. Cutters should be evaluated by a psychiatrist for any treatable, underlying mental illness, then referred to a counselor. Counseling can help develope better coping skills.