What is dysthymia?

Sadness. People with dysthymia are unhappy all the time without having a major depressive disorder. It is kind of a pervasive sadness.
See below. Dysthymia is a constant low mood state that persists for years. It is different than major depression which occurs across blocks of time and alongside a host of other problems.
Dysthymia. Dysthymia, is a chronic type of depression that doesn't waver all that much in terms of intensity, as opposed to major depression which wavers widely in intensity. Metaphorically speaking, those with dysthymia experience it as having to wear a coat made of lead, 24-7, with little variation. Those with major depression experience the depressive lows almost like waves.
Dysthymia. Is a form of chronic, low grade depression lasting at least 2 yrs in adults ; at least 1 yr in children. A person w dysthymia often feels low ; /or guilty, is self- critical, tired, lacks joy, is disinterested in activities. S/he may have trouble making decisions ; focusing ; is irritable/ angry. Self esteem is poor mixed w hopelessness ; problems w sleep ; /or appetite.