Why is my total cholesterol 215 high, if my hdl,ldl and triglyceride are normal?

Dr. Tamanna Nahar
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: High cholesterol

Need cholesterol breakdown.
High levels may be due to contribution from high good cholesterol levels (HDL) or vise versa

In brief: High cholesterol

Need cholesterol breakdown.
Dr. Dean Giannone

In brief: Depends on subtypes.

It is possible to have a high total cholesterol despite having normal levels of the three subtypes if your subtypes are at their upper limits of normal.
This is a great example of why the total cholesterol is essentially a useless measure, not informative as far as your cholesterol status and heart risk. The subtype levels are much more informative.

In brief: Depends on subtypes.

Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine