What exactly causes irritable bowel syndrome?

Autonomic Disorder. Cause unknown, many speculations. My own observations indicate that excess pelvic parasympathetic nerve stimulation leads to irritable bowel symptoms. See my complete discussion on my chronic pain board at quora.Com.
A syndrome complex. Stress, emotions, conditioning, psychologic traits, bacteria contribute to development of ibs. Brainstem reflexes induced by eating are sometimes exaggerated in ibs. Gut tone & sensation, as well as GI transit, are influenced by hormones & neurotransmitters. In ibs patients alteration in brain-gut pathways can affect perception of bowel distension, cause painful spasm, & modify transit of food.
Two ways to look at. A functional, but not structural, disorder like ibs: "brain-gut response to stress and cholinergic stimulation in ibs" published in the journal of clinical gastroenterology in 1993 or: "the sorrow which has no vent in tears may make other organs weep." henry maudsley.