What is recurrent depression?

Repeated Episodes . Recurrent depression means repeating or "recurring" episodes of significant depression. These episodes may occur after previous episodes have been treated, or they may disappear on their own and then come back in the absence of treatment.
Repeat depression. Recurrent depression is reoccuring bout of depression years after the initial depression has been treated. The most effective treatment is cognitive behavior therapy to identify the irrational belief system, restructure thinking, learn new coping strategies, and medication.
Depression...again. Recurrent depression means that a person has had more than one episode of depression. When people seek treatment for depression for the 1st time, about 25% will remit and never have a recurrent episode. Another 50% will have at least one additional recurrence but recover with treatment. And about 25% will go on to have "treatment resistant depression". Those numbers are very rough, though.