My aunt didn't come out of anasthesia naturally when given anectine & quelicin. What is this called? I'm having surgery soon & my Dr is asking. Thx.

Dr. Ronald Herring
Anesthesiology

In brief: Anectine

If what you mean is she had prolonged muscle paralysis/weakness, then she may have a genetic issue called pseudocholinesterase deficiency.
Anectine is normally very short acting (minutes), but if you have PD it can persist for a couple hours or so. You need more details if your aunt is willing to give them.

In brief: Anectine

Dr. Ronald Herring
Dr. Ronald Herring
Dr. Julian Goldman
Anesthesiology

In brief: Doc can talk to Aunt

Anectine and Quelicin are names for succinylcholine - a muscle relaxant frequently used for anesthesia.
Hereditary conditions can affect how long the drugs' relaxation lasts. It is possible to use a different type of drug. However, your description of "not coming out naturally" is hard to interpret to make anesthesia decisions, so your anesthesiologist may get useful information from your Aunt.

In brief: Doc can talk to Aunt

Dr. Julian Goldman
Dr. Julian Goldman
Dr. Robert Madden
Anesthesiology

In brief: Anesthesia

She may have pseudocholinesterase deficiency which can be hereditary by autosomal recessive genetics.
This enzyme metabolizes muscle relaxants such as succinylcholine (anectine) & mivacurium. When deficient in the enzyme the muscle relaxants are very slowly metabolized & the patient will be very weak for prolonged periods. You should be tested for this disorder and tell your anesthesiologist.

In brief: Anesthesia

Dr. Robert Madden
Dr. Robert Madden