Is depression ever normal?

Dr. Anne Sagalyn
In brief: No
Sadness is normal, depression is not.

In brief: No
Sadness is normal, depression is not.
Dr. Anne Sagalyn
Dr. Anne Sagalyn
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Normal depression
Normal grief or sadness can be considered a natural reaction to a traumatic or perceived traumatic event, and it does not interfere with normal daily functioning or cause significant distress.

In brief: Normal depression
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
Depression, which can mean having a low mood or the "blues" is common and normal, especially after certain events such as the death of a loved one.
Major depression has to do with a specific group of signs and symptoms and while common, it is not normal and usually requires and is helped by treatment. There are both physical and mental causes for depression. I suggest a discussion with your dr.

Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer