My 6 mo has unilateral renal agenesis and grade 4 reflux causing Hydrouereteronephrosis. Is antibiotic prophylaxis necessary in his case?

Dr. Ellen Altenburg

In brief: Probably

The use of antibiotic prophylaxis is a very debated subject in pediatrics & pediatric urology currently.
Given the age of the child, I think most physicians would. I'd follow the recommendations of his doctor, since he/she knows him best.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Ellen Altenburg
Dr. Ellen Altenburg
Dr. Philip Chang

In brief: Consult

Consult your urologist or nephrologist.
There are many options for hydro nephrosis and reflux however given that you child only has one kidney they may be extra cautious.

In brief: Consult

Consult your urologist or nephrologist.
Dr. Philip Chang
Dr. Philip Chang
Dr. Jonathan Jassey