For almost six months I have had both anterior and posterior cervical lymph node enlargement. All are about 1.0 CM or less. Should I be concerned?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Probably not
Reactive lymph nodes are very common.
We start to get excited about them when they're over 1 1/2 to 2 cm in size. In the absence of any other significant symptoms these lymph nodes are probably nothing to worry about. If they do concern you, however, it is a good idea to discuss the matter with your primary care doctor.

In brief: Probably not
Reactive lymph nodes are very common.
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Michael Miller
Wound care
In brief: Monitoring Centers
Lymphatic system absorbs/carries things too big to go into the arteries/veins like bacteria eaten by white cells/digested food.
Lymph nodes "taste" the lymph everywhere for bad stuff like bacteria/viruses/cancers, etc. When it detects a problem, it alerts the immune system and your body reacts. They enlarge in response to the inflammation they create when they react. They shrink when all is well.

In brief: Monitoring Centers
Dr. Michael Miller
Dr. Michael Miller
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: What else?
Have you had any other symptoms? What preceded the onset of these nodes.
Suggest you have a doctor examine you, but suspect these are benign.

In brief: What else?
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
2 comments
Dr. Martin Raff
I would tend to agree with him. The very fact that they have not changed in a year makes it far less likely that they are significant, in the sense that they signify a troublesome illness
Dr. Martin Raff
Yes. About the only thing I could think of that might do this is HIV. If you have not been tested, go ahead and have that done. It is now recommended that every patient be tested.
Dr. Keegan Duchicela