Why is my period cycle on the shorter side (about 25 days)? I realize it's normal, but what's the bio-physio basis for the difference?

Dr. Cynthia Point
In brief: Hormone changes
As we ladies get older, the eggs that are left are not as healthy.
The yolk sac isn't as strong, so instead of lasting 14 days after ovulation, it may only last 10 days, which makes the cycle 25 days instead of 28 days or so. You can still have a baby, but the shortening of the cycle is a reminder that time is running out for your fertility.

In brief: Hormone changes
Dr. Cynthia Point
Dr. Cynthia Point
Dr. Cynthia Point
That changes things. Please see your doctor to be checked out. It may be a thyroid problem, or in some cases, a woman's cycle is just shorter or longer than average, with no health consequences.
Dr. Jane Van Dis