What should I do about my fear of flying?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
In brief: Knowledge
For many, fear comes from not knowing.
Knowledge will many times alleviate fear. As such, some airlines offer programs to help those with a fear of flying. These hands-on programs basically provide you with greater knowledge of the safety of air travel, giving you an opportunity to sit in an airplane, see the cockpit, etc. These were more popular pre 9-11, but still may be available.

In brief: Knowledge
For many, fear comes from not knowing.
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Mark Reynolds
In brief: Aviophobia
There are three basic treatments for fear of flying severe enough to be classified as an anxiety disorder, systematic densensitization, cognitive therapy and medications.
There is a nice overview at http://www.Guidetopsychology.Com/fearfly.Htm. The severity of your phobia will determine which intervention(s)-your family physician should be able to provide a referral to an appropriate specialist.

In brief: Aviophobia
Dr. Mark Reynolds
Dr. Mark Reynolds
Dr. Louis Grenzer
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Hypnosis
Hypnosis is very successful, I have found, to help people who have a fear of flying.

In brief: Hypnosis
Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology
In brief: CBT for some works
In contrast to other forms of psychotherapy, cognitive therapy is usually more focused on the present, more time-limited, and more problem-solving oriented.
In addition, patients learn specific skills that they can use for the rest of their lives. These skills involve identifying distorted thinking, modifying beliefs, relating to others in different ways, and changing behaviors.

In brief: CBT for some works
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry