Can you take ativan (lorazepam) and trazadone at the same time. I take 100mg of trazadone at night and three .5 Ativan (lorazepam) daily as needed.

Dr. Matt Wachsman

In brief: Yeah, I guess

Trazodone is an antidepressant generally used for its side effect of making people sleepy.
Ativan is a potentially addictive sedative that is often used for anxiety but is only supposed to be used SHORT TERM. They have slight interaction, and you might be sleepy from that (when you go to bed). This interaction is mild and often beneficial.

In brief: Yeah, I guess

Dr. Matt Wachsman
Dr. Matt Wachsman
Dr. Denise Bruneau

Yes, you can, but be careful.
Ativan (lorazepam) is a controlled substance. You must take it as it's prescribed. Both medications cause drowsiness. It would be best for you to avoid taking ativan (lorazepam) at night when you take trazodone. In fact, you should avoid a window of about 6 hours so that you aren't taking both meds at the same time. Abuse of ativan (lorazepam) (taking too much) can lead to withdrawal/seizures.

Yes, you can, but be careful.
Dr. Denise Bruneau
Dr. Denise Bruneau