Can I breast feed while prepping for a colonoscopy? My 4 month old won't take a bottle.

Dr. Jeffrey Cohen
Surgery - Colorectal
Hydrate well. But, after sedation, most would recommend ou pump and discard for 24 hours.

Dr. Jeffrey Cohen
Dr. Jeffrey Cohen
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal
However be sure to drink additional fluid so you are not dehydrated from the prep and the breast feeding.
You also may want to ask about the affects of the anesthetic agents on your milk for 24-48 hours post procedure. If anesthesia or pediatrician is concerned you may need to store some milk in advance of procedure to use in the post op period.

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Kevin Olson
In brief: Maybe
Most colon preps are not absorbed from the colon and are safe in breast fedding.
These are go-lytly or mag citrate. Be cautious with pill laxatives. The breast milk may become slightly more concentrated, so stay hydrated.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Kevin Olson
Dr. Kevin Olson
Dr. Adam Levy