2 doctors weighed in:
A small piece of the skin on my ring finger has been perpetually dry and itchy for a few months. No amount of moisturizer has helped. Any ideas?
2 doctors weighed in

1 doctor agrees
In brief: Reaction
A few things are possible.
If you recently got your ring cleaned it is possible that there was residue left over that is now irritating your skin. Also, if you wear many different rings it is is also possible that there may be nickel in the metal alloy of your ring. Nickel allergy is a common contact allergen. Perhaps you should be seen by a dermatologist.

In brief: Reaction
A few things are possible.
If you recently got your ring cleaned it is possible that there was residue left over that is now irritating your skin. Also, if you wear many different rings it is is also possible that there may be nickel in the metal alloy of your ring. Nickel allergy is a common contact allergen. Perhaps you should be seen by a dermatologist.
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Thank
1 comment
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
I am just figuring out how to reply to patient's additional questions. My apologies for the delay. There is also a condition known as the "id" reaction. This is a reaction to a fungal infection but away from the actual infection. Occurs often on the sides of the fingers. I would agree with your being seen.
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Christopher Crosby
Board Certified, Dermatology
12 years in practice
93K people helped
Continue
107,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors