A small piece of the skin on my ring finger has been perpetually dry and itchy for a few months. No amount of moisturizer has helped. Any ideas?

In brief: Reaction
A few things are possible.
If you recently got your ring cleaned it is possible that there was residue left over that is now irritating your skin. Also, if you wear many different rings it is is also possible that there may be nickel in the metal alloy of your ring. Nickel allergy is a common contact allergen. Perhaps you should be seen by a dermatologist.

In brief: Reaction
A few things are possible.
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
I am just figuring out how to reply to patient's additional questions. My apologies for the delay. There is also a condition known as the "id" reaction. This is a reaction to a fungal infection but away from the actual infection. Occurs often on the sides of the fingers. I would agree with your being seen.