My ENT told me I have right sphenoid sinusitis and have a mass. What does that mean and what symptoms?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Hard to know

The sphenoid sinus is a sinus that lives in the middle of your head behind your eyes.
Like any sinus it can become irritated and inflamed and infected. I assume you had a ct scan which showed inflammation of the sinus as well as possibly some swelling of the lining of the sinus which your doctor has called a "mass". "mass" is a scary word but it does not mean that you have a cancer. A second opinion is always helpful.

In brief: Hard to know

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Sphenoid sinus

The sphenoid sinus is a small air pocket in the bone (sinus) that is deeper in the skull than the common maxillary or frontal sinuses.
When it is infected, the primary symptoms is intense, deep headache, and possibly low grade fever. If there is an associated mass it often turns out to be a mucocele, a benign cyst that causes pressure symptoms (and blockage of sinuses) as they enlarge.

In brief: Sphenoid sinus

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Eric Weisman