My front teeth have been hurting for the past week. They feel extra sensitive when I drink or eat as well. Could I just need to switch toothpaste?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
In brief: Many possible causes
Increased sensitivity to the teeth can have many possible causes, including infection, dental caries, gingivitis, or even a tooth fracture.
Best to see your dentist to have them check for possible causes to the sensitivity.

In brief: Many possible causes
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: See dentist
Many causes are possible for your sensitivity.
It can be something mild like recession, exposed root/ cementum to worse like cracked tooth syndrome, deep decay, periodontal infection, cracked root, etc... See your dentist!

In brief: See dentist
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dr. Raj Upadya
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Find the cause
Switching toothpastes will not solve the situation, though at times they will mask the cause.
Excess forces on the teeth from grinding or a bad bite are often, though not always, the cause of symptoms such as yours. See your dentist to determine the cause so you can find out definitive solutions...

In brief: Find the cause
Dr. Raj Upadya
Dr. Raj Upadya
Dr. Mike Deldar
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Have your dentist
Check your bite, you may grinding your teeth.

In brief: Have your dentist
Dr. Mike Deldar
Dr. Mike Deldar
In brief: Possibly
But more likely you need to see your dentist to determine if there is anything wrong with your teeth.
During the exam, discuss your concerns and listen to the advice you receive.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Meng Syn
Dentistry
In brief: No
You should see your dentist and have them checked.
The sensitivity is a sign of pulpal irritation. Possible causes of the sensitivity are periodontal disease, trauma, bruxing, or occlusal high spots. It is also possible that you are suffering from erosion and root sensitivity from exposure to acidic foods or liquids. Some get relief from desensitizing toothpaste like sendodyne.

In brief: No
Dr. Meng Syn
Dr. Meng Syn
Dr. David May
Dentistry
In brief: Maybe
I have found many of the new whitening tooth pastes cause sensitive teeth.
It might get better by changing toothpaste.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. David May
Dr. David May
Dr. Vicken Poochikian