My doctor heard no bruits in my carotid arteries. Could there be any benefit, still, to an ultrasound of them?

Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology

Yes, there can be carotid stenosis without audible bruits, so if your doctor is looking for stenosis, or characterization of atheromatous plaque, carotid ultrasound could be useful.

Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice

In brief: Yes, depends on hx

The stethoscope is a very blunt/insensitive test.
Plaque build up may be at the beginning stages, in which case u might see it on ultrasound (US) but not hear it - if atherosclerosis runs in ur family, the US wd b useful. If the plaque is very advanced, nearly blocking blood flow, then the same: it can be seen, but not heard. Again, the US is helpful as it cd validate symptoms of a stroke or TIA.

In brief: Yes, depends on hx

Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay