Taking combination pills to stop bleeding on Depo Provera: do I take a pill daily? Also, does it make the Depo less effective and I am less protected?

Dr. Diane Minich

In brief: Talk with your

doctor. Combination pill (the estrogen) makes the depo ineffective as a contraceptive.
. Did the doctor put you on the combo pill?

In brief: Talk with your

Dr. Diane Minich
Dr. Diane Minich
Dr. Marc Goldhagen
Occupational Medicine

In brief: Protection

Breakthrough bleeding on Depo Provera (medroxyprogesterone) is not uncommon and in most women all bleeding stops by the second or third injection.
A small number of women need to stop the injections because of the bleeding that doesn't stop. Taking other combination pills to control the bleeding should make the Depo Provera (medroxyprogesterone) less effective.

In brief: Protection

Dr. Marc Goldhagen
Dr. Marc Goldhagen
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham