What causes voice disorders?

Many causes. The most common cause is vocal abuse. Yelling, screaming, vocal tension and tightness in the throat all can cause damage to the vocal cords. Reflux into the throat can cause irritation, throat clearing and damage as well. Finally, neurological conditions such as spasmodic dysphonia can cause problems.
Many causes. There is a great deal of variety to voice disorders. There are neurological causes (nerve weakness, etc.), structural causes (masses/polyps/nodules/scarring), allergic causes, reflux, as well as other causes that can affect your voice. If you suspect a voice issue, seeing a specialist early is important to help find the cause and treat it appropriately.