Going off Soma (carisoprodol) from 3x/day to 2x day for 3 dys, to 1 for 2 dys to start on tizanidine HCl 4mg. Muscles spasms very painful after missing dose. Used ice packs. woke up w/migraine. Why change med?

Dr. Marsha Davis

In brief: Tiizanidine

Is a better muscle relaxer .
i usually just switch and don't wean Soma (carisoprodol) . Don't know reason for the wean and I'm a pharmacist too

In brief: Tiizanidine

Is a better muscle relaxer .
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Adam Smith

In brief: Depends

Soma (carisoprodol) and Tizanidine are muscle relaxants, not anti-inflammatories, that essentially turn down the volume of pain in the brain.
They work in slightly different ways, so if you are no longer getting relief with Soma (carisoprodol), your doc may want to try a different but similar medication. With chronic muscle spasm, use heat instead of ice, ensure enough sleep and water, reduce caffeine/tobacco use if applicable

In brief: Depends

Dr. Adam Smith
Dr. Adam Smith
Dr. Vikram Patel