I have a bruise like spot on my calf that i saw a week ago. It's purple with white spots, it doesn't hurt, it isn't raised. Is it just a bruise?

Dr. Donald Colantino

In brief: Ecchymosis

A capillary or tiny vein probably spontaneously burst leaking a small amount of blood under the skin.
As this blood collection slowly breaks down, it leaves these various colors which take days to clear. This is a painless,no serious process. However if multiple episodes occur in scattered locations blood counts and coagulation tests are recommended. Aspirin increases the fragility of blood vessel

In brief: Ecchymosis

Dr. Donald Colantino
Dr. Donald Colantino