Should I stop running if I get shin splints (pain in the tibia due to long distance running)?

Short term. Shin splints, or medial tibial stress syndrome, is best treated with rest, ice and over the counter anti inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen. It may be prudent to take a week off and gradually return to your routine. If your pain persists, a visit to your doctor may be warranted. Good luck.
Yes. and ice the shins and have your doctor prescribe an NSAID. If not better have your doctor rule out a stress fracutre.