Narcotics for treating chronic back pain and side effects?

No. Narcotics can be used in the short term, but you need to find out what is the cause of your pain. Seek a spinal specialist.
Not good. We have had about 20 years to evaluate the use of narcotics (opioids) for the treatment of chronic lower back pain and so far the results have been poor. That is not to say an occasional patient does not do well but by far in my experience, that is the exception more than the rule. I would not recommend it particularly for younger or middle aged people. The negatives far outweigh the positive.