Can multiple system atrophy affect the heart muscle?

In brief: Unfortunately yes

As MSA progresses, every muscle in the body eventually gets affected by the degeneration of the autonomic nerves & other derangements which cannot be compensated for anymore by the "voluntary" nervous system. I have a patient who is likely going through his last stages & it is a relentless disease process for which he now refuses any & all interventions to help him with breathing or swallowing.

In brief: Unfortunately yes

Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Warren Foster
Often the damage to the autonomic nervous system, which regulates the blood pressure and pulse, can result dizziness and passing out when standing. Despite the lack of actual heart muscle damage, a special type of blood pressure monitoring artificial pacemaker can sometimes help the heart respond to blood pressure drops appropriately.
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology