A few days ago I felt a sharp pain on the back side of my head and above my ear. This morning I had tingling from my ear down my neck on the same side?

Dr. Adam Lewis
Neurosurgery

In brief: Neck pain

The greater occipital nerve runs between the muscles of the neck and provides sensation to the scalp behind the ear and up to the back of the head. When the muscles are are in spasm, headaches and tingling occurs. The pain is relieved with massage, physical therapy, and injections of the occipital nerve. Sometimes a pinched nerve in the neck (C3/4) can cause similar pain.

In brief: Neck pain

Dr. Adam Lewis
Dr. Adam Lewis