Can someone taking morphine sulfate 200mg 3x a day, test positive for fentanyl ,although they have never taken fentanyl?

Dr. Glenn Messina
Aesthetic Medicine

In brief: No

In a blood sample you would see a distinction between fentanyl a synthetic narcotic and morphine.
THey would read out morphine, fentanyl, sufentanyl etc. In a urine test however it would read out opiate positive

In brief: No

Dr. Glenn Messina
Dr. Glenn Messina

In brief: I looked....

But I couldn't find any reference that reported a cross reactivity like that.
They both of course would be positive for opiates, but a positive fentanyl is only for fentanyl. If anyone else knows differently please steer me the right direction.

In brief: I looked....

Dr. Elizabeth Wallen
Dr. Elizabeth Wallen
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Absolutely

Both drugs in the same class (opioids) so they will both show up the same.
Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid and much stronger than morphine. When testing for Morphine, it will show positive for morphine metabolites or fentanyl. Take care.

In brief: Absolutely

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin