***SEIZURE DOCTOR*** I had an EEG done. I was on Lamictal, Keppra, (levetiracetam) and Dilantin IV Drip. Will those meds cause the EEG to give an inaccurate result?

In brief: Usually we stop meds

In our hospital setting we generally ask patients to stop their anti-seizure medications a couple of days before an EEG unless it is absolutely critical and impossible to stop their medications.
So the answer to your question is YES....it is possible that the EEG will be less sensitive to actual electrical abnormalities which are being masked by the medications.

In brief: Usually we stop meds

Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
2 comments
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Good luck.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Let me add the following to the rest of what I wrote. If in fact, you have a CONFIRMED and unquestionable epileptic condition then, I can understand a reason why the doctors did not want to take the medications off before getting the scan. If on the other hand your condition of epilepsy or seizure disorder IS NOT TRULY CONFIRMED then, you will want to discuss with your doctor how to do this safel
Dr. Eric Weisman