Which symptom of TMJ should I be most concerned about?

Dr. James Merrett
Dentistry

In brief: Symptom of TMJ

I think the most common symptom is pain.
You could have pain in your joints, your facial muscles, in your teeth. If the muscles get too tight you might have problems opening your mouth. In my opinion any time you have pain you should be concerned.

In brief: Symptom of TMJ

Dr. James Merrett
Dr. James Merrett
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Pain and ROM

The most important feature is pain, followed by restricted range of motion.
See OFP specialist for evaluation and treatment.

In brief: Pain and ROM

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Pain

Pain.
Occasionally joint sounds if really loud. Occasionally limitation of opening, if the opening is really restricted.

In brief: Pain

Pain.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Kyle Shank
Dentistry

In brief: Pain

Pain is the big one.
Painless popping and clicking isn't a big deal...But if it hurts or if your jaw locks open or closed, that needs to be evaluated and treated.

In brief: Pain

Pain is the big one.
Dr. Kyle Shank
Dr. Kyle Shank
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: All of it

There is no particular symptom that is more concerning than others.
People usually notice pain with yawning, chewing, opening their mouth, etc. Popping, clicking, grinding are other frequently reported symptoms, but non is more serious than others. Occasionally, your jaw may get dislocated, then you will not be able to talk, close your mouth and the joints will be painful and swollen.

In brief: All of it

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Vicken Poochikian