What would cause chronic ankle pain? When I go to the doctor what tests will they run?

More Information. More information is required in order to address this. See a foot and ankle specialist (podiatrist) and describe the nature of the pain, when it started, whether there was an injury, and any other factors you can relate. Standard radiographs will likely be taken and possibly advanced imaging if the clinical picture requires it.
Causes.... Chronic ankle pain can be caused by either acute or chronic trauma. It can also be caused by bone, joint or soft tissue injury and arthritis. Your doctor will start with a complete history and physical exam. He or she may also choose to get an x-ray. Higher end imaging, such as an MRI, may be necessary based on your Doctor's interpretation of all if the above.