How are TMJ disorders diagnosed?

In brief: Variety of ways

A thorough examination beyond what is typically done is usually necessary.
This exam would check things like the history of what has happened to your jaw, as well as listening to the sounds it makes. Often there are measurements of the range of motion. Usually other inspection of your bite alignment too. The exam also checks a variety of muscles that affect the TMJ as well.

In brief: Variety of ways

Dr. Scott Greenhalgh
Dr. Scott Greenhalgh
Dr. Ron E. Bell
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Dentist or oral surg

It is sometimes difficult to diagnose.
A differential diagnosis needs to be done by someone who has trained in the condition. Not just any dentist will take the time. You need to look at credentials

In brief: Dentist or oral surg

It is sometimes difficult to diagnose.
Dr. Ron E. Bell
Dr. Ron E. Bell
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice

In brief: Examination

As to application of Orthodontics to treat TMJ: My clinical observations & data report asymmetric form & function of masseter muscles as etiologic for this disorder; following upon chronic unilateral head tilt; leading to asymmetric masseter function & chronic repetitive impingement of mandibular condyle against ipsilateral TMJ fossa; wearing cartilaginous rim; causing subluxation & chronic pain.

In brief: Examination

Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
8 comments
Dr. Laurence Badgley
At Quora.com, on my Pain Syndrome board, I present these theories in greater detail, and as a result of my original clinical observations.
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Unilateral jaw pain might be clinical manifestation of Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) disorder. Masseter muscle spasm is commonly associated with left neck & jaw symptoms; as well as with Temporomandibular Joint Disorder, TMD.
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dentistry

In brief: Exam and tests

Proper history, clinical examination, x-ray examination, neuromuscular evaluation, electromyography, computerized jaw tacking and joint sonography are all tools used to establish a diagnosis.

In brief: Exam and tests

Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Jackie Lam

In brief: Clinical

Usually just by clinical exam - radiology studies like x-ray and ct is sometimes used to assess the severity.

In brief: Clinical

Dr. Jackie Lam
Dr. Jackie Lam
Dr. Ronald Konig
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Diagnosing TMJ

This is a broad question.
Generally speaking TMJ can be diagnosed by a through exam of the head and neck and a 3D scan of the head and neck. TMJ is classified as the great imposter, which can cause symptoms from headaches, facial pain, and even neck pain. The 3D scan is essential as so much can be diagnosed and confirmed.

In brief: Diagnosing TMJ

This is a broad question.
Dr. Ronald Konig
Dr. Ronald Konig
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: History, exam xrays

Complete history, thorough exam, TMJ xrays.

In brief: History, exam xrays

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine