What is TMJ exactly?

Joint in the head. Many refer to TMJ as a disease or illness when in actuality, it is an abbreviation for temporomandibular joint, an anatomical structure in the head located in front of the ear that has several components. We are usually born with two. Tmd or temporomandibular dysfunction is a description that can include a number of abnormalities and problems with the TMJ which may or may not require intervention.
Jaw joint. The jaw joint in front of the ear - temporomandibular joint.
Joint. I agree with all the other doctors and would add that it should not be called as a syndrome anymore. This is due to the fact that in order to be a syndrome any disorder should have at least 3 pathognomonic signs. These are signs that are always present. Tmd does not have that. Temporomandibular disorder or dysfunction is a much more appropriate term.
Anatomy. Tmj refers to the temporomandibular joints, where the upper bone (maxilla- temporal bone) and the lower jaw (mandible) meet and function...The joints. This is a simplistic description and you should look this up on the web for a more definitive anatomical answer. Better terms for symptoms associated with the TMJ mechanism are tmd (temporomandibular dysfunction, ) or TMJ syndrome.
Joint Inflamation. Temporal mandibular joint syndrome is inflammation of the joint where the jaw articulates with the skull in front of the ear. It is a synovial joint and has a capsule and a small cartilage disk inside. Either or both may become inflamed or injured with tough chewing or injury. Nsaid's, softer foods, even chewing, ice or a bite block at night may help. If not better 10-14 days see your doc.
Jaw Dysfunction. Many theories.  jawbone balls sit in temporal mandibular sockets (skull base) before ears.  jawbones shift with use.  i found one-sided masseter (jaw) muscle dominant and palpation pain of muscle leading edge.  at opening jaw shifts from stronger masseter side.  at closure strong-side socket closes first as ball forcefully impacts & wears rim; causing unilateral joint laxity-pain (fr. Quora.Com).
It's a syndrome. Temporomandibulat joint dysfunction (TMJ) encompasses the function of the jaw joints, the muscles, nerves and teeth another term is cmd, or craniomandibular disorder, as all of the structures of the head and neck can be affected. It involves many of the cranial nerves, and is influenced by posture. It is a complex condition that is often misdiagnosed.