How does a physician determine the best treatment for acute or chronic sinusitis?

Depends. Both can be treated with antibiotics and steroids. Trying to determine the underlying cause: allergies or anatomic narrowing should be addressed. Sometimes the best option is surgery. Surgery can be done in a traditional fashion or with newer balloon technology like angioplasty... Balloon sinuplasty.
Depends. A nose/sinus specialist will first determine if your problem is acute sinusitis or chronic sinusitis. If the latter, he will try to identify the cause such as allergies, anatomy, smoking, toxic fumes etc. Then he may get a ct to determine the severity and if severe may consider in-office balloon sinuplasty or outpatient minimally invasive sinus surgery. For more info visit www.Socalsinus.Com.
Several factors. The doctor has to consider other issues going on such as previous treatments or surgeries, presence of allergies, polyps or possible fingal infection. Therapy is tweeked accordingly.