If I am taking treatment for shingles, am I still contagious? What can I do to not spread the chickenpox virus with people around me?

About shingles. Shingles cannot be passed from one person to another. However, the virus that causes shingles, the varicella zoster virus, can be spread from a person with active shingles to another person who has never had chickenpox. In such cases, the person exposed to the virus might develop chickenpox, but they would not develop shingles. Once the rash has developed crusts, the person is no longer contagious.
Not contagious. In general having shingles does not in any way represent contagiousness. The only people at any risk are those with acutely collapsed immune functions such as those actively receiving chemotherapy.
Minimal if any. In deference to chickenpox, you do not have virus in your oral secretions or cough during shingles.The debris from weepy sores in the breakout area has virus that could spread chickenpox. If you keep the area covered and or the area has dried out, there is little if any chance you will spread it to others.