Is taking Valium or chlordiazepoxide better before seeinga dentist, if it is tmj?

In brief: None

If you want the dentist to be able to diagnose the cause of your tmj/tmd, then you shouldn't take any medication the day you see him/her.

In brief: None

Dr. Michael Skidmore
Dr. Michael Skidmore
Dr. Navdeep Virk
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: None

You should present with your sign and symptoms as natural as possible.

In brief: None

Dr. Navdeep Virk
Dr. Navdeep Virk
Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Neither

I can't recommend that you take either of these drugs before seeing your doctor or dentist.
Tmj problems are known for being multifactorial, so you may not be treating the right thing by taking either one of these drugs.

In brief: Neither

Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Yes.

I'd recommend it.

In brief: Yes.

I'd recommend it.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: May impair diagnosis

Doing anything differently before seeking a consultation changes the norm under which you normally function and may mask some of the symptoms or responses during the evaluation.
It's like taking pain medication for a toothache and then presenting not knowing which tooth was bothering you or having the same response when stimulated.

In brief: May impair diagnosis

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler