General or local anesthesia for wisdom teeth removal?

Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Depends

Depends on patient, location of teeth, insurance.
For best results, see an oral surgeon for exam/options. The oral surgeon has the widest array of anesthetic and surgical options.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Everyone's different

Some wisdom teeth roll right out.
Some require significant surgical manipulation. Discuss your individual problem set with your Oral Surgeon and request his/her recommendation.

In brief: Everyone's different

Some wisdom teeth roll right out.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Wisdom teeth removal

In my office, the vast majority of patients are fine with local anesthesia (and Sweet Air=Laughing Gas=Nitrous Oxide\Oxygen).
Some prefer IV sedation in which case I refer them out to an Oral Surgeon. It is a personal decision and best discussed with the surgeon prior to the procedure in order to determine what is best for you. For some, especially the apprehensive, IV sedation is the way to go!

In brief: Wisdom teeth removal

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Depends

Some prefer only local anesthesia; most, however opt for general.
A nice way to go is conscious sedation (many consider this general) using an I.V. technique. This provides deep enough anesthesia to make things comfortable, as well as amnesia about the event. Discuss it with your Oral Surgeon to determine what is just right for you. Good Luck.

In brief: Depends

Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. Glenn Messina
Aesthetic Medicine

In brief: Depends on you

If you can keep calm a local can be sufficient.
If you need general make sure they have a board certified anesthesiologist in the office and the office has a full compliment of anesthesia emergency ications

In brief: Depends on you

Dr. Glenn Messina
Dr. Glenn Messina
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Pain & Anxiety Free

The local anesthesia is used either by itself or in combination with one or more of the following: nitrous oxide, oral sedation, I.
V. sedation or general anesthesia. Your oral surgeon may use any type of anesthesia, depending on the expected complexity of the wisdom tooth case and your comfort.

In brief: Pain & Anxiety Free

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Anesthesiology

In brief: Depends

If there are no contraindications local is acceptable and reasonable choice.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. William Jenkins
Anesthesiology

In brief: I had my

wisdom tooth pulled recently, teeth cleaning same time so local had plenty of time to set up.
Local injection after topical benzocaine, very easy. Tooth broke during extraction, roots removed separately. No pain, glad after not all doped up on drugs. Didn't even fill prescription for narcotics. Recomm

In brief: I had my

Dr. William Jenkins
Dr. William Jenkins
Dr. Vikram Patel