Does having one larger tonsil always mean cancer? My tonsil has been larger for a good while. I just started having jaw and tongue pain. MD says tmj.

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Tonsil size

No, an enlarged tonsil does not mean cancer.
If you've been examined by MD and he/she feels there is no tonsil pathology, go with it. If TMJ has been suggested see your Dentist. Consultation with BOTH an Orthodontist and an Oral Surgeon is then advisable to determine cause of dysfunction and appropriate treatment.

In brief: Tonsil size

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Not likely see PCP

Enlarged tonsils can be caused by a number of culprits, including strep throat, common cold viruses, mono, etc.
See your PCP for consultation and tests. Best of luck.

In brief: Not likely see PCP

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Jaw yes, tongue no

With one larger tonsil and tongue pain, I'd recommend you see an ENT doc to rule out cancer.

In brief: Jaw yes, tongue no

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice

In brief: Paranoia? Not Cancer

I believe you have been given significant and accurate answers to this repeated question.
The answers have universally be No, a tonsil larger than the other tonsil is not cancer and rarely is so. You have a competent physician helping you in person. Please follow their lead.

In brief: Paranoia? Not Cancer

Dr. Robert Killian
Dr. Robert Killian
Dr. Arnon Rubin