How long does it take for periodental disease to affect heart?

Dr. Thomas Mchugh
Dentistry

In brief: Periodontal disease

Your question should be how do I best take care of my teeth and gums so that I never get periodontal disease that could affect my heart.
See your dentist, have your teeth cleaned and checked for gum disease. ANY gum disease can affect your heart. No time is "safe". If you have periodontal disease, seek treatment and be safe.

In brief: Periodontal disease

Dr. Thomas Mchugh
Dr. Thomas Mchugh
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Unknown variable

Research done so far has sown that people with gum disease are more likely to have heart disease than those with healthy gums.
A large number of studies have been performed over the last two decades, but studies thus far have not shown the significant time period.

In brief: Unknown variable

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Bruce Pope
Dentistry

In brief: Inflammation

Chronic inflammation is the problem, and the bodies reaction to the inflammation.
It causes/adds to existing conditions in the blood vessels to hinder and eventually block blood flow. It is one of a number of factors that increase the risk of heart disease. Periodontal disease itself , alone, doesn't cause a specific heart injury.

In brief: Inflammation

Dr. Bruce Pope
Dr. Bruce Pope
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology