How can I know if I need medical help for my cold sores?

Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dentistry
In brief: Length of time
If they don't disappear or keep coming back, something else may be happening.

In brief: Length of time
Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dr. Ron Jones
In brief: Change in course
Usually no treatment other than otc topicals is needed.
If there is a change in the course like systemic symptoms such as fever; chills; or a change which is inordinate such as size; shape; coloration; pus; or if the "ulcers" last longer than the usual course or continue to re-occur, then it would be a good idea to see your doc. Dr. J.

In brief: Change in course
Dr. Ron Jones
Dr. Ron Jones
Dr. Kyle Shank
Dentistry
In brief: Depends on severity
No cold sore is fun, but one every few months is manageable.
Someone who has at least one or two all the time, however, is more severe and concerning. Also, if you know what triggers them, you may be a candidate for treatment (ie someone who always gets them after dental work due to the stretching at the corners of the mouth). Discuss the frequency and severity with your dentist. He/she can help.

In brief: Depends on severity
Dr. Kyle Shank
Dr. Kyle Shank