My child has a cleft palate. Why do I need to have my child’s hearing tested?

Dr. Jeffrey Marsh
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Cleft hearing

Most infants and young children with cleft palate have problems with ventilating ("popping") their middle ears.
The middle ear fills with fluid and the child hears what we hear under water: that is not good for someone developing speech and language. Also bacteria like to grow in middle ear fluid and the infection can destroy the middle ear hearing apparatus. Normal speech needs normal hearing.

In brief: Cleft hearing

Dr. Jeffrey Marsh
Dr. Jeffrey Marsh
Dr. Jay Park

In brief: Fluid in middle ear

Infants with cleft palate are way more susceptible to develop an ear infection and most of them has fluid accumulated in their middle ear. They often require to have ''tube" in their ears to drain fluid out to maintain normal hearing.

In brief: Fluid in middle ear

Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Hearing loss

50-90% of children with cleft palate are susceptible to persistent middle ear infections or fluid which may cause conductive hearing loss.
Chl may cause speech and language delays, which, in turn, may cause language -based learning disabilities. Close monitoring of hearing helps your child's ENT doctor to know if/when to place " pe tubes" in the eardrums to help preserve hearing.

In brief: Hearing loss

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Jonathan Jassey