What can I do about my jaw locking up besides ice?

Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Jaw locking up
If your jaw is locking closed, it generally means that the disc in the jaw joint may be displaced.
If your jaw is locking open, that means that the jaw is itself becoming dislocated, which is much less common. For a closed lock that fails to respond to simple measures, it has been shown through many studies that the most effective treatment is TMJ arthrocentesis or arthroscopy, to unlock the jaw.

In brief: Jaw locking up
Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: See your Dentist
Important to determine cause of joint dysfunction that has caused disc displacement.
Depending on cause you may need thermal therapy, medications, occlusal orthotic, orthodontic tooth movement, occlusal adjustment, joint or jaw surgery, or other treatment modalities. Start with your Dentist.

In brief: See your Dentist
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman