Why would I have to go an endodontic for a root canal?

Dr. Jonathan Richards
Dentistry - Endodontics
In brief: Many reasons
To echo previous responses, the reasons are many.
While 2-3 years of experience is an important point, even more significant is the experience that is gained after specialized training. Endodontists will treat 500-2000% more teeth than a generalist in the same period of time. Nothing is more important than experience, and specialists only treat what you are seeing them for.

In brief: Many reasons
Dr. Jonathan Richards
Dr. Jonathan Richards
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry
In brief: Best for patient
General dentists refer patients to specialists when they feel that it's in the best interests of their patients to be seen by someone who will render them the best service available.
My colleagues already gave you some excellent specific reason why. Sometimes dentists just choose to render procedures that they enjoy doing the most and feel are the most rewarding to them & appreciated by patients.

In brief: Best for patient
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Erick Jansson
Dentistry - Endodontics
In brief: Ask your Dentist
While there are a number of reasons such as complexity, availability, experience and tools that may make a root canal experience with an endodontist different than a general dentist, the very best way to find out is to ask your dentist why they are sending you out.
They probably have a very simple and reasonable explanation.

In brief: Ask your Dentist
Dr. Erick Jansson
Dr. Erick Jansson
Dr. Aaron Cook
Dentistry
In brief: Specialist
Endodontists receive extra training after dental school for root canals.
Some teeth, especially molars, have very complex root canal systems, so general dentists will often refer these to the endodontist for treatment. Some general dentists simply do not feel comfortable doing root canals and refer all of these procedures to specialists.

In brief: Specialist
Dr. Aaron Cook
Dr. Aaron Cook
Dr. Julianne Carrara
Dentistry - Endodontics
In brief: Endodontists-yes!
Although, I may be biased, I have 3 additional years of training and 20 years of treating patients.
We utilize microscopes, 3 D technology and handle complex cases and personalities. We are efficient and follow standards of care. Some dentists perform 1 root canal a week. I perform 8-12 a day.

In brief: Endodontists-yes!
Dr. Julianne Carrara
Dr. Julianne Carrara
Dr. Mark Venincasa
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Ask your dentist..
Your dentist may not feel comfortable doing it.
An endodontist specializes in all things related to the root canal and the root of the teeth. The particular tooth may be more difficult and require a more specialized dentist.....

In brief: Ask your dentist..
Dr. Mark Venincasa
Dr. Mark Venincasa
Dr. Kevin Windisch
In brief: To have a root canal
Endodontists are expert with this procedure.
You would see an endodontist to have such a procedure.

In brief: To have a root canal
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Peter Kurzweil