Can acupuncture help lumbar radiculopathy?

Dr. Adam Lewis
Neurosurgery

In brief: Low back pain

Yes. Acupuncture reduces inflammation through the release of endorphins and increases microcirculation to improve joint mobility and reduce muscle stiffness.
Acupuncture stimulates the release of serotonin and noradrenaline too. Eastern medicine may provide another alternative for pain relief.

In brief: Low back pain

Dr. Adam Lewis
Dr. Adam Lewis

In brief: Agree with Dr. Lewis

Many of my acupuncture patient's suffer from radiculopathy.
While acupuncture won't cure structural lesions - it can improve circulation, lymphatic drainage & movement of energy/ Qi. These are independent of the brain changes which Dr. Lewis already pointed out. A number of my patients are referred by neruologists and neurosurgeons.

In brief: Agree with Dr. Lewis

Dr. Erik Borncamp
Wound care

In brief: Yes and no.

May help with pain or stress (if you Believe in it enough).
But the disease itself will not change and may continue to get worse. Find a spine surgeon who encourages you to try all nonsurgical options first If no weakness or numbness you may be able to get away with acupuncture for a while

In brief: Yes and no.

Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery

Like many treatments for the spine, there is some degree of trial and error, but I would say that acupuncture can potentially help some patients with a radiculopathy.

Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman