I have a BI-RAD category 3 should I be scared?? what does that mean? should I be doing biopsy??

Dr. K. Mujib Haque

In brief: Repeat Mamo 6 Mos

MOST LIKELY benign Bi-Rad III, however recommendations are to REPEAT Mamogram in 6 Months.
There may be regional varaitions in the Radiologists in your area, some are more conservative and will READ BiRAD III if any suspicion at all. If any doubts ask you Radioloist if this Mamogram can be read independently by another Radiologist. Speak also with your Primary Physician so that She can guide you

In brief: Repeat Mamo 6 Mos

Dr. K. Mujib Haque
Dr. K. Mujib Haque
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology

In brief: BIRADS 3

is a diagnostic category that means "probably benign".
By definition, lesions in this category have a less than 2% chance of being cancer. In practice, it is less than 1%. 6 month follow up is appropriate management. However, if you are very anxious about it, needle biopsy could be considered to confirm the benign nature. Talk to your doctor about your concerns.

In brief: BIRADS 3

Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Jane Van Dis