How do I start a low-salt diet?

Dr. Jackie Lam
In brief: Less sodium
Less eating-out, put less salt/msg/soy sauce, and prepare your own meal.

In brief: Less sodium
Dr. Jackie Lam
Dr. Jackie Lam
Dr. Clarence Grim
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Low salt diet
26 M from CA asks: How do I start a low-salt diet? I recommend buying the book DASH diet for HTN.
Read & do chap 9 exactly & u are on your way by 14 d. Get Fitness Pal a&nd enter everything u eat. it will estimate Na intake. Read labels. Goal is 1,500 mg a day unless you want really low like the rice diet which is 250mg. Books ID: ISBN: 0-7434-1007-6. I specialize in lo Na & can do 2nd opinion.

In brief: Low salt diet
Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Martin Fried
General Practice
In brief: See below
start by not adding salt to anything you eat.
Then progress to reading labels and becoming aware of salt content in foods you eat. The goal is less than 2 grams of sodium a day. Increasing your intake of fresh fruits and vegetables, beans, legumes and whole grains, are all low in salt ( in general)

In brief: See below
Dr. Martin Fried
Dr. Martin Fried
Dr. Su Fairchild
Integrative Medicine
In brief: Use other flavorings
Cut out processed/packaged foods, as these are likely to have too much salt.
Cook with spices and herbs instead for flavor. Use sea salt or pink himalayan salt very sparingly instead of regular table salt. Potassium intake will help balance sodium intake, so lots of fruit and vegetables will be beneficial.

In brief: Use other flavorings
Dr. Su Fairchild
Dr. Su Fairchild