Was told to stop taking levothyroxine for 6 weeks, now blood work reads t3/2.8 t4/0.98 and tsh/5.5. Today I got call to start right away 50mcg again.

Your TSH is high. Hi Myrna, Your TSH, thyroid stimulating hormone, is high, which means that you have an under active thyroid gland. TSH levels are the most sensitive in diagnosing low thyroid. TSH is produced in a gland in the brain called the pituitary and its level increases in response to low thyroid hormone levels in the bloodstream. I hope this answers your question.